Thursday, February 02, 2006

Will I Ever Grow Up?

I don't mean to say that I want to grow taller or bigger. I'm plenty grown up in that manner. What I wonder is will I ever lose the little kid in me? Granted, I don't really want to lose that little kid in me. I like that I still have 'childish' interests. For example:

I recently put up some shelves in my basement office. Some of you probably think, "good idea, Eric. You probably need the storage space." Well, the reason that I put the shelves up is so that I had a place to display my Star Wars Legos. That's right. I have a Tie Interceptor, B-Wing Fighter, a Tie Bomber, and Slave-1. Plus alot of mini lego ships. I like the old school ships more than the ships from the new movies. I'd live to get a AT-AT, Millenium Falcon, Start Destroyer, and Death Star, but they are all over $100 kits. It's not like I play with the ships (much), I just really like building them.

I like video games ALOT. I know, a lot of adults these days like video games, so maybe this is not a good example. Mu favotites are first person shooters. I could play Halo 2 all day. I also like Doom 3 alot. However, I have small children and am not really allowed to play gorey shooters much anymore, so I play Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic, which is less intense. I will get an Xbox 360 when Halo 3 comes out.

I like board games. Monopoly, Starego, and the best of the best: Risk. I actually got Risk for my computer a while back just so that I could play more frequently. I once tryed to play Axis and Allies with Rinnert, but the fact that the game instructions suggested that you set up a place to play where you can leave the game up for a few days made me lose interest. A few days to play a game? I don't have the attention span for that. I guess other adults like board games too, but when you throw Magic, the Gathering into the mix, that elevates my standings as a childish person. Yes, I play Magic. I don't actively buy new cards anymore, and I don't get to play ofter, but that is because I don't have anyone to play with. I used to play alot in college, but the people I used to play have moved away.

WHOA!!! I just had a revelation. Looking back on what I worte, it dawned on me. I am not too childish, I'm just a big nerd! Not that there is anything wrong with that. I kind of like my status as a big nerd. You get to do a lot of fun stuff (like building Legos) that 'cool' people may take for granted. Honestly, I would be a bigger 'nerd' if I could afford it. I had to give up my comic book collecting back in college because of low funds. I'd probably still be reading several books if I could have afforded them throughout the years. Wolverine, X-men, Stormwatch, Excalibur, they were all good. Plus, I'm sure there a alot of other new books that are good that I have no clue about just because I've been out of the scene. Also, I'd have the Star Wars Legos mentioned above if I could afford them.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

I hear ya, I'm right there on the Nerd Boat with you. I was just talking about how badly I would Nerd Out if I actually had money. I've steered clear of major shenanigans so far, but would probably buy something super huge and super nerdy like props from favorite shows or something.

Mona said...

I sometimes wonder if I will grow up.....but not because I'm a nerd. I think I'm a genuine child at heart and always will be. At least I don't think I'm a nerd.