Friday, February 24, 2006

For all you Joss fans....

As some of you may or may not know, I am a fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series. Yes, that makes me resemble a teen aged girl in some ways, and yes, that show has been cancled, but I own the DVDs and have been watching some of them of late. I started off with season three a week or so ago (I need to get 1 and 2 back from Amy) and am now watching season four. Let me tell you: Season four is when this show gets good. One through three are good and entertaining, but the first disk of season four has made me laugh out loud several times already today. It is definately when Joss starts employing more of a sense of humor with all of these characters. For example, in their first day of college, Willow is excited and talks to Buffy about how all of the "throbbing knowledge" on campus and how she can feel it "thrusting inside" her and "spurting" wisdom. She then claims that the conversation went somewhere she had not meant it to go. MUCH funnier in the show, but you get the jist. There are a few major changes that make the fourth season better than the first three:

1. Angel is off with Cordelia and Wesley on his own spin off show and is replaced by a new recurring vamp, Spike. Spike is a much better character and (according to my wife) is much better looking than Angel.
2. The gang is out of High School and have moved on to college. There is much more plot potential and the plots do get much better.
3. Willow becomes more of a witch (and eventually a lesbian. that may be season 5 though) and plays a greater roll in the action.
4. More Oz. No, not the HBO homo-erotic prison show, I'm talking about the character Oz. He plays a bigger role in the plots and is one of the funnier characters.

Well, for those of you that like Joss and his wacky sense of humor, you should watch the previous seasons of Buffy. Be patient through the first three seasons, which are still good, but the fourth is a step above the rest. One of the episodes even won an award. An Emmy, I think.

1 comment:

Woody! said...

Season 4 was my personal favorite. Of course, that's when I started watching regularly so I may be a bit biased on that front.