Friday, June 02, 2006

Tourneys vs. Cash Games

Last night I played in a cash game (poker). Basically, what tham means is if you take $20, you play with $20. The chip amounts are based on the money you brought ($.25 $.50 $1.00 etc.). I usually play in tournaments ($20 gets you a specified amount of chips, like $2000) so the cash game experience was a bit different for me. The big difference is that, in tournaments, when you are out of chips, you are out of the game. In cash games, you can play until your wallet is empty. So, if you put in $20 and lose it all, you can buy another $20 of chips and keep going. Ideally, you want to win money without needing to buy in more than once. Another big difference in the cash games is the mentality of the players. People are more likely to overbet their hand or try to chase a hand when they know that they can get more chips if they lose. I can't tell you how many games I had won early, but I'd get called by someone chasing a hand. Then they's hit their had on the river. I started with $73, went down to under $10, and ended up with $130. I almost left, but am glad I didn't. Hand I played of note:

1. I hit a flush when I had less than $10 to get back into the game.
2. I had Ace six of clubs, hit the flush on the flop and slow played two players for about $50
3. The best play of the night: I had 6 3 of clubs and tried to buy the pot (I was on a flush draw). I was raised, and then I went over the top with an all in. I had nothing, but I could tell that the other guy had nothing too. I was able to scare him out of the hand (or else I would have been broke). To add insult to injury, I showed my cards. He was not happy about folding to a six high. I love poker.

No comments: