Friday, May 01, 2009

Big Tournament tonight

Sorry that I am lacking in posts lately. Not too much to post about lately, I guess. Plus, I feel like a broken record sometimes. Anyway, I am planning on playing in a poker tournament tonight. It is way out in BFE (Baltimore, about 40 minuted from me) but it is a big game. There should be 70 players, or so. I usually play in cash games, so a tournament will be a bit of a change of pace. I played in this game last year, and there are a few rules that I am not a fan of. First, if your chip stack is below the big blind (if you have 100 in chips and the BB is 125) you are out of the game. That happened to me last time. Second, if someone goes all in, their chip count is the maximum bet. So, if they have 200 and go all in, you can only call the 200. This is done to iliminate side pots, which I don't get. I guess it gets confusing with side pots, but it limits what you can do in the hand. If I have pocket aces and 4000 in chips, and someone goes all in for 200, I can't raise to get other players out of the hand. This leaves good starting hands, like the aces, vunerable to drawing hands (straights, flushes, etc.) I was dealt a good hand last year, someone went all in, I couldn't raise, and I lost the pot to a weaker starting hand. Still, these rules are a small price to pay to have the chance to play a big tourney for a big prize pool. I think first place gets over a grand. Anyway, I am looking forward to the game and a chance to text my poker skills.

No comments: