Sunday, July 19, 2009

Harry Potter was pretty good

I went to see the new Harry Potter movie yesterday with Jessica and the kids. It was a pretty long movie, but Gabe and Ally did pretty good with it. They talked a little and started to move around a bit, but they weren't too bad. The movie was pretty good. I have been a little frustrated with the last few films because they seem to be a little lacking to me. The first few books were shorter, so it was pretty easy to get all of the relevant information into the movies. However, as Rowling's writing improoved and the stories became more elaborate, the movies have had difficulty getting all of the good action and story telling into a feature film. The movies have all of the main action and story, but they seem rushed to cram everything into 2 1/2 hours.

What they were able to cram into The Half Blood Prince was pretty good. There were some good action scenes and character development. The love triangles were done pretty well and there was a good mix of comedy in there as well. Jessica already wants to go see it again. I could stand to wait until it is on DVD, but if she really wants to take me to a movie, I won't complain. My one beef with the film is that it seemed very anti-climactic to me. Yes, what was supposed to happen happened, but it just seemed rushed. The final chapters in the book were action packed and then very somber and sad. The movie made the last two chapters happen in about five minutes. Oh well. All in all, it was a pretty good movie. They just are never as good as the books.

No comments: